Blogging Bayport Alameda

May 26, 2017

They’re good dogs

Filed under: Alameda — Lauren Do @ 6:06 am

According to a Monday press release the City and the Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter have finally come to an agreement on contract terms which (hopefully) should make everyone happy.  From the press release:

  • An annual payment from the City to FAAS not to exceed $804,300, which provides 58 percent of the total FAAS budget, with the remaining 42 percent to come from fundraising and fees, critical to maintaining shelter operations.
  • A one-time payment from the City to FAAS of $75,000 to cover costs anticipated to be incurred between now and June 30, 2017.
  • The City will continue to rent the shelter facility to FAAS for $1 per year. In 2016-17, the City will provide more than $170,000 in capital improvements to the shelter, including a new roof, an upgraded kitchen where animal meals are prepared, and upgrades to the heating and cooling system. In 2017-18, the City will reimburse an additional $45,000 in one-time capital costs for shelter upgrades.
  • The Alameda Police Department will continue to provide Animal Control Officers to support shelter operations and enforce animal control laws.
  • Working jointly with FAAS, the City will commission an operational assessment of the shelter by the American Humane Association to identify best practices in shelter management and services.
  • FAAS will continue their new partnership with the job training and placement program at Alameda Point Collaborative with the goal of providing employment for up to two program participants, expand its grants program to help support shelter operations, and explore additional grants for services like spay and neuter.
  • The term of the proposed contract is for two years, ending June 2019, with the ability for the City Council to offer to extend the contract an additional two years.

This agenda item will be heard at the June City Council meeting.  The positive thing about the FAAS business coming to a conclusion is that the City Council can strike one issue off its pending Council Priorities list that was cobbled together from all the Council Referrals.

In other FAAS related news, we adopted a doggo from FAAS about a month ago.  It’s been an interesting process thus far considering we were strictly a cat family for many years.  He’s cute, but he’s a bit challenging.   He also hasn’t allowed anyone to properly groom him even though I’ve now tried two different groomers.  He clearly has baggage from his last previous home experiences.  Anyway, the FAAS experience was a positive according to the husband who initiated the whole process so it’s great that the City and FAAS have reached an agreement to keep the good work going.

Advertisements

4 Comments »

  1. Good dog

    Comment by Jordan — May 26, 2017 @ 6:23 am

  2. If you decide to go forward with the dog and have the money to spend, the behavior program at UCDavis is excellent. We took our 7 year old adoptee there. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

    Comment by Retiredteacher — May 26, 2017 @ 7:34 am

  3. Lauren, all dogs are challenging, I don’t want to say much more because I have both of my sons dogs sitting right next to me and they want to go out for thier run. They’re looking a little agitated so I’m outta here.

    Comment by JohnP,trumpisnotmypresident. — May 26, 2017 @ 8:47 am

  4. Have had 5 dogs in my lifetime. Taking one to obedience school was one of the best investments I ever made. The Oakland school I used isn’t around anymore, but there’s this one: http://www.oaklanddogtraining.org/classes.html

    Comment by vigi — May 26, 2017 @ 9:13 am


RSS feed for comments on this post.

Say what you want

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.