How you doing? Me, I’m great. Oh by the way, I have the skinny on the tentative agreement that will be voted on by the teachers union next week. The last day of voting will be on Thursday of next week, so hopefully we’ll have an idea if the membership was okay with this contract.
Here are the big things that are part of the contract:
- A retroactive 2.5% raise for the 2012-2013 school year
- In 2013-2014, a .75% raise AND a one -time raise of 1.25%
- For 2013-2014 and 2014-2015, teachers will only be required to work 184 but will get paid for 185 days of work
- K-3 class sizes will stay fixed at 25:1 as long as Measure A is around, after Measure A sunsets class sizes will stay fixed until new negotiation.
- Five AEA members and five district staff will work on a proposal for the Professional Learning Communities for possible pilot.
- District will propose two sets of calendars for 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 school years which AEA will vote on in April
Under the “Money!” category there is also a bit about the possibility of a raise for 2013-2014. On or before January 31, 2014 the School Board will make the determination if there is enough money for a 1.75% raise if there is, then essentially there is a fully negotiated contract until November 2014. If the School Board says that there isn’t enough money then the contract will be reopened and if no agreement is made by February 15, 2014 then the District will “agree” to impasse.
Given the information above I am super hopeful that this will be something that the majority of the AEA membership can support. Fingers crossed!